Friday, May 7, 2010

Welcome to My Old School VC Blog!

Well it had to finally happen! An old school VC who built a reputation and business on old school tactics such as wanting to meet the people I do business with and building long term relationships is now reaching to the cyber world! Why? Because after fifteen years in the venture capital business and 25 years as a CPA and business professional and entrepreneur, I am wondering if the lessons of yesteryear are being lost on the new social media/wired/connected crowd.

So I figured, lets give this blog stuff a try to hopefully convey what I am seeing on a daily or weekly basis to those folks who wish to tune in. I dont expect many but hey who knows? Lets give it a try!!

Each post, I hope to convey the lessons I am learning as I continue to grow and experience working with emerging businesses throughout the region. Whether tips, ideas, lessons or observations on business building, strategies, financing, human interaction and exits I am hopeful that a few nuggets will be conveyed. We'll see as I am counting on your comments and feedback!

So who am I? I guess I am kind of a boring guy who got lucky. Not an Ivy leaguer. First generation. Started to work when I was 10 years old in the family corner grocery store. Went to college with a goal to get a good job, became an accountant with the Big Eight focusing on growth entrepreneurs (for those too young to remember there used to be eight major accounting firms now only four remain ): ), earned an MBA, started a few businesses along the way and ended up in venture capital in 1995. Fortunate time. Didnt know much about the "buy side" of the industry except seeing from my advisory role but I figured hey lets give it a whirl for a year or two. But wow! What a privelege. Imagine waking up every day and having the thrill and honor to work with the most creative, inspirational, committed and driven sector of the economy: THE ENTREPRENEURS!!!!!

What was to be a couple of years in the industry is now fifteen. A lot more grey hair, perhaps cynicism but the enthusiasm still exists!

So let the games begin! I dont have visions of thousands of people following me. But if I get one entrepreneur or aspiring entrepreneur who I can help that all that counts. Tune in, lets work together, and build a community that is sensible, driven, respectful, successful and most importantly FUN!!

1 comment: